MySkinCheck: self-surveillance for early detection
The ABCDE method
1. Evaluate your personal risk,
2. Keep an eye on moles using a new tool, the mole checker,
3. Adopt a responsible approach to the sun.
Using a simple method, you will be able to map and follow any changes in moles which are a cause of concern.
How do you carry out self-surveillance?
What is a suspicious mole?
- Borders which are irregular,
- Color which is uneven,
- Diameter greater than 6 mm,
- Evolution of the lesion.
Key figures for skin cancer
For twenty years, skin cancers have shown the largest increase. In Europe, skin cancer rates increase by 5% to 7% annually.
But…screening saves lives!
90%* of skin cancers can be cured if they are detected early.
*French Syndicate of Dermatologists and Venereologists / March 10, 2008
Lifestyle, environment and carelessness
AFSSAPS Workgroup on Solar Protection / Report No. 5 / July 2003
WHO website: www.who.int
La Roche-Posay: continued commitment to skin cancer prevention
- warn about the dangers of excessive exposure to the sun,
- demonstrate the role of UVAs in skin allergies and cancers.
- being a Melanoma Day partner,
- supporting the training of dermatologists in screening,
- teaching about self-surveillance with MySkinCheck.org,
- increasing awareness of how to adopt a responsible attitude.